Explore the Black History Collection at Fold3 for Free*
In recognition of Black History Month, Fold3 is making the records in its Black History Collection available for free through the end of February.
Whether you’re searching for your ancestors or looking for primary documents to help with other research, the Black History collection gives you access to more than a million documents, records, and photos that help to capture the African-American experience during five eras of American history: Slavery, The Civil War, Reconstruction & Jim Crow Laws, World War I & II, and the Civil Rights Movement.
All the titles in our Black History collection contain valuable insights into the history of African-Americans, but titles that are especially rich in information include:
- Danish West Indies – Slavery and Emancipation: These records cover the institution of slavery and the emancipation of slaves in the Virgin Islands during Danish rule, 1672-1917.
- Suppression of Slave Trade and Colonization (1854-72): These records cover the institution of slavery and the emancipation of slaves in the Virgin Islands during Danish rule, 1672-1917.
- Amistad – Federal and Supreme Court records: Court records pertaining to the claims of salvage for the Spanish slave schooner “Amistad,” seized in 1839 by the US Navy.
- American Colonization Society: Documents relating to the American Colonization Society, 1792-1964, an organization best known for its role in founding Liberia.
- Board of Commissioners – Emancipation of Slaves in DC: Records of the Board of Commissioners for the Emancipation of Slaves in the District of Columbia, 1862-63.
- Court Slave Records for DC: Records of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia Relating to Slaves, 1851-63, including emancipation and manumission papers.
- South Carolina Estate Inventories and Bills of Sale, 1732-1872: South Carolina court records relating to estate and personal assets.
- Colored Troops: Compiled military service records of volunteer Union soldiers serving in various colored units in the Civil War, including the United States Colored Troops (USCT).
- And more!
Some examples of interesting records you can find in the Black History collection include:
- An 1810 inventory for the estate of Joseph Morton, a “free black man”
- An 1827 inventory for the estate of Thomas Drayton that lists his 160 slaves by family group
- A Civil War-era photograph of black laborers
- The service record of Christian A. Fleetwood of the US Colored Infantry, who earned the Medal of Honor during the Civil War
- A photograph of 3 members of the original black fighter squadron in WWII
Access to the records in the featured collections will be free until February 28, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. MT.
Save 25% on Fold3 Annual Subscription!
“Get access to everything on Fold3, including many military records you won’t find elsewhere online.”
- Revolutionary War Service & Pension Records
- Civil War Service Records Confederate & Union
- Civil War Widows Pensions
- War of 1812 Pension Applications & Service Records
- Mexican War Service Records
- World War II Photos & Records
- World War II Draft Cards
- Australia WWI & WII Service Records
- British Army WWI Service Records
- U.K. WWI War Diaries
- U.K. Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records
- U.K. Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admission and Discharge Records
- Plus many more
Normally $79.95 USD, pay just $59.95 USD now through February 28th. Click HERE to save.
*NOTE: Access to the records in the featured collections will be free until February 28, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. MT. Free access requires registration for a free Fold3 account. After the free access period ends, you will only be able to view the records in the featured collections using a paid Fold3 membership.
PLEASE NOTE: The post content above contains affiliate links. This means I make a percentage of sales via these links. This does not INCREASE the price you pay as a consumer. It simply supplements my income so I can continue providing as much free genealogy content as possible through my “abundance model.”
Disclaimer: All prices and offers are subject to change. Some items may be sold out and have limited inventory. Also check to see if you have automated purchase settings enabled, such as Amazon Buy with 1-Click: it is your responsibility to make sure you are getting the correct price for an item before you check out and finalize the transaction.
Disclosure Statement: I have material connections with various vendors and organizations. To review the material connections I have in the genealogy industry, please see Disclosure Statement.
Content and Images: All product content including images have been used by permission from the vendor.
©2019, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.