Today’s Genealogy Bargains – Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019
FEATURED Genealogy Bargain
NEW! Fold 3: FREE ACCESS to Revolutionary War Records at Fold3! “To commemorate Independence Day, Fold3 is providing free access* to our Revolutionary War Collection July 1–15. We continue to offer everyday free access to our Constitutional Convention Records, Continental Congress Papers, George Washington Correspondence, and other archives from the founding of our nation! See the original manuscripts written with quill and ink by our founding fathers. Our Revolutionary War collection contains 22 collections with almost 5 million records!” Here’s just a few of the titles:
- Revolutionary War Rolls: The Continental Army was made up of troops provided by each colony. They formed battalions, regiments, companies or militias. There is an introduction to this collection from the National Archives, and then you can search by state and narrow down to a specific fighting group.
- Navy Casualty Reports, 1776 – 1941: This collection records both wartime and peacetime deaths of navy soldiers in the Revolutionary War and later conflicts including the War of 1812, Civil War, WWI and others.
- Revolutionary War Service Records: These are service records for soldiers who fought for the Continental Army. They are arranged under state, fighting company and then alphabetically by soldier’s name.
- Revolutionary War Prize Cases – Captured Vessels: After the US declared independence from the British, colonists were no match for the powerful British Navy. In an effort to disrupt British commerce, colonists captured British vessels. The vessels were known as prizes. These records, which are copies of the original manuscripts, are cases heard on appeal by courts from 1776-1886. You can browse them by state, case name, or by vessel name.
- Final Payment Vouchers Index for Military Pensions, 1818-1864: This is a collection of records of final pension payments made to military veterans or his widow. They shed light on where a family may have moved after the war, death dates of veterans, widows, or dependent children, and sometimes the maiden name of a widow.
Get started searching our Revolutionary War Collection today!
Free access through Monday, July 15th – click HERE for access – via Fold3
*Access to the records in the featured collections will be free until July 15, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. MT. Free access requires registration for a free Fold3 account. After the free access period ends, you will only be able to view the records in the featured collections using a paid Fold3 membership.
Genealogy Bargains Categories
- DNA Test Kits & Education
- Books for Family Historians
- Educational Webinars and Online Courses
- Genealogy Subscription Websites
- Photo Organization and Preservation
- Genealogy Software and Technology
- Give the Gift of Family History
- MyHeritage: MyHeritage DNA Health + Ancestry test kit now available – just $199! This new test “offers new dimensions of genetic insight to enrich your life, enlighten you about your health, and help you make informed lifestyle choices. As a major expansion of our DNA product line, the MyHeritage DNA Health + Ancestry test includes dozens of personalized and easy-to-understand health reports. It also includes all of the features of the current MyHeritage DNA test. VIEW DETAILS
- Amazon: FREE SHIPPING for Amazon Prime Members on DNA test kits including 23andMe, AncestryDNA, Family Tree DNA, Living DNA and MyHeritage DNA – VIEW DETAILS
- Amazon: Save 35% on The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy by Blaine T. Bettinger! In this updated 2nd edition, “Discover the answers to your family history mysteries using the most-cutting edge tool available to genealogists. This plain-English guide, newly revised and expanded, is a one-stop resource on genetic genealogy for family historians. Inside, you’ll learn what DNA tests are available, with up-to-date pros and cons of the major testing companies (including AncestryDNA) and advice on choosing the right test to answer your specific questions. For those who’ve already taken DNA tests, this guide will demystify and explain how to interpret DNA test results, including how to understand ethnicity estimates and haplogroup designations, navigate suggested cousin matches, and use third-party tools like GEDmatch to further analyze data.” Regularly $29.99, pre-order now for delivery on July 30th and you pay just $20.22! VIEW DETAILS
- Amazon: NOW AVAILABLE . . . print version of The DNA Guide for Adoptees: How to use genealogy and genetics to uncover your roots, connect with your biological family, and better understand your medical history by Brianne Kirkpatrick and Shannon Combs-Bennett. VIEW DETAILS
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars: FREE WEBINAR Remedies for Copy & Paste Genealogy presented by Cyndi Ingle, Tuesday, July 2, 2019, 10:00 pm Eastern / 9:00 pm Central / 8:00 pm Mountain / 6:00 pm Pacific. “Family trees and the information they contain are easily copied and re-published by others online. This means errors are duplicated many times over. We will discuss solutions for dealing with these issues.” VIEW DETAILS
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars: FREE WEBINAR Evaluating Shared DNA presented by Paul Woodbury, Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 2:00 pm Eastern / 1:00 pm Central / 12:00 pm Mountain / 11:00 am Pacific. “DNA testing companies estimate the nature of your genetic relationships to DNA cousins based on the types, amounts and locations of shared DNA. Nevertheless, their estimations are typically quite broad. In this webinar, learn to analyze the DNA you share with genetic cousins to better estimate the nature of your relationships. Explore probabilities of relationship based on total shared DNA, number of segments, types of shared DNA, and relationships to multiple individuals. Navigate genetically equivalent relationships. Interpret shared DNA within the context of other available evidence. Evaluate proposed relationships and guard against the possibility of misattributed parentage or half relationships. Learn to better utilize genetic evidence in the exploration of family trees.” VIEW DETAILS
- Legacy Family Tree: Save 15% on a Legacy Family Tree Webinars Annual Membership! Regularly $49.95, pay just $42.46 when you use promo code thomas15 at checkout – VIEW DETAILS
- Newspapers.com: Right now, Newspapers.com has an amazing offer if you use historical newspapers as part of your genealogy research! Get the Publishers Extra version of Newspapers.com for a six-month period for just $74.90 USD! The regular price is $119.40 USD and this is a savings of 37% off that price – VIEW DETAILS
- Vivid-Pix: Save 20% on Vivid-Pix RESTORE! Restore scanned prints, slides, documents, and digital camera images in seconds. You can even use Vivid-Pix RESTORE in scanned documents . . . Allen County Public Library does! UPDATE: now you can add your own METADATA to images and documents using Vivid-Pix RESTORE! Sale valid through July 15th, 2019. Use promo code 3GBargainsSAVEBT at checkout – VIEW DETAILS
- PRICE DROP! Amazon: Jumbl All-in-1 Film & Slide Scanner for 35mm Negative & Slides, 110, 126, Super 8 Films – now just $69.99 – VIEW DETAILS
- Amazon: Save 73% on SanDisk Cruzer 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, regularly $39.99, now just $10.99! – VIEW DETAILS
While this might be up to debate, we love to give family history gifts this time of year as well as receive them! So check out the products below for quick and easy gifts you can give to any member of the family!
- Celebrate DNA: Special Summer Edition Celebrate DNA T-Shirt showing off your DNA ethnicity . . . less than $22 when you use code JULY10 at checkout! Enter your ethnicity results from a recent DNA test, then select White or Navy and you’ll have a special customized Celebrate DNA t-shirt in no time! VIEW DETAILS
- Amazon: Save 47% on Klikel Family Tree Display at Amazon! – If you are looking for a way to use your genealogy research and digitized family photos here is a great idea . . . a metallic family tree display from Klikel. While there are many other companies making similar products, the Klikel line are the BEST in terms of construction, durability, and design. My recommendation is to get the Klikel Family Tree Frame Display with 10 Hanging Picture Photo Frames priced at just $39.99! – VIEW DETAILS
©2019, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.