Check Out These Freebies and Promotions to Get You Through the COVID-19 Pandemic
UPDATED 6:00 am CDT, Friday, April 3rd, 2020
Right now as we all seem to have our normal routines changing constantly in light of the COVID-10 Pandemic, we seek comfort in different ways. Some of us are looking for food deliveries while others want to settle in for an extended genealogy research binge! Offers will be updated periodically. Check out these offers and why not try something new this week?
Genealogy & Family History
- Ancestry: FREE ACCESS to Ancestry Library Edition! This means if you have a library card from a participating library AND they have online access, you can get Ancestry at home for FREE! “As approved by Ancestry.com, ProQuest will provide public libraries with temporary remote access to Ancestry Library Edition through April 30, 2020. Ancestry will evaluate the need monthly and will adjust the access dates accordingly. Secure, patron authentication on the library’s website must already exist in order to obtain remote access. Examples of secure authentication methods include dedicated IP addresses (must be static), barcode, referring URL and EZProxy. Username/password authentication, embedded URL and other less secure methods cannot be supported for patron remote access. Public information about the key differences between Ancestry Library Edition and Ancestry.com (the consumer edition) can be found HERE. Public libraries can submit their remote access requests to ProQuest Technical Support by emailing TSupport@ProQuest.com.” VIEW DETAILS
- Legacy Family Tree Webinars: FREE ACCESS to 24-Hour Genealogy Webinar Marathon Classes! “Some called us crazy for attempting it. In the wee hours of the night we began to believe them. But it was so worth it! The 24-hour Genealogy Webinar Marathon was a huge success. The recordings of the classes are now available at www.FamilyTreeWebinars.com/24. Normally, they’d be free for the first week, but we’ve extended this so all marathon classes are available for free for two full weeks (through April 6). If you enjoy the classes and are hungry for more genealogy education, consider joining as a webinar member where you will have access to all 1,200+ classes and all 4,900+ pages of instructor handouts (including all 85 pages from the marathon). It’s just $49.95 a year (which is a crazy 4 cents per class). VIEW DETAILS
- MyHeritage: Enjoy Free and Unlimited Access to MyHeritage In Color™! Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, MyHeritage is providing FREE and unlimited access to MyHeritage In Color™ from March 23 to April 23, so that people everywhere can join in the fun of colorizing their black and white photos. Ordinarily only 10 photos can be colorized by users who do not have a Complete plan, but now, you can colorize as many photos as you’d like for free. Colorizing photos is the perfect activity for anyone who is isolated at home. We invite everyone to pull out their family photo albums, colorize their photos, and start reminiscing. Over the coming month, anyone who shares their colorized photos on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram with the hashtag #ColorBeatsCoronavirusBlues and tags @MyHeritage will enter a weekly draw. Each week we’ll select one lucky winner who will receive a free MyHeritage Complete subscription! VIEW DETAILS
Books and E-Books
- JSTOR: FREE ACCESS to Jstor at home! This means if you have a library card from a participating library AND they have online access to JSTOR, you can get JSTOR at home for FREE! “Access to all unlicensed collections at no cost for participating academic institutions that currently license some, but not all, JSTOR Archive and Primary Source collections.
More than 20,000 books available at no charge for JSTOR participating academic institutions and secondary schools that do not participate in our books program. The number of books available through this effort is growing daily as more publishers opt in.” VIEW DETAILS
- LibraryThing: “Starting today, LibraryThing is free to all! We’re dropping all membership fees and limits. Since opening in 2005, LibraryThing has charged a fee to catalog more than 200 books—$10 per year, or $25 for a lifetime.” VIEW DETAILS
- ProQuest: Free Access to Over 100 E-Book Publishers! Check with your local public library to see if they have access to the ProQuest Ebook Central program from home. Click HERE to view a PDF list of over 100 publishers. “ProQuest has partnered with more than 100 publishers to support libraries in providing unlimited access to Ebook Central holdings for all patrons – at no extra charge. The novel coronavirus (COVID-19) is having an unprecedented effect on higher-education institutions across the globe. Many libraries have found they suddenly need to support a new level of distance learning and research – and access to electronic resources is imperative. To support this urgent need, ProQuest has partnered with more than 100 publishers to support libraries in providing unlimited access to Ebook Central holdings for all patrons – at no extra charge. ProQuest Ebook Central customers impacted by COVID-19 get unlimited access to all owned titles from these publishers through mid-June. This means that all licenses – including single-user and three-user models – have automatically converted to unlimited access for that period, helping librarians bridge the gap for their patrons in this rapidly changing environment. The unlimited access also applies to additional titles purchased through mid-June.” VIEW DETAILS
Want to take an online class related to photography, art, knitting and more? Here are the available freebies!
- Nikon: FREE Photography Classes from Nikon! “Nikon’s mission has always been to empower creators. In these uncertain times, we can do that by helping creators stay inspired, engaged and growing. That’s why we’re providing all of our courses free for the entire month of April. Let’s come out of this even better.” There are 10 classes available for FREE . . . each of these online courses are priced up to $50 each! VIEW DETAILS
Right now the world is upside down for many workers. Here are some free resources for those looking for employment opportunities.
- Novoresume: Get one month free at Novoresume – a $16 value! “Claim this offer until April 10th! In times like these, we need to work together and do whatever we can to help bring the world back on track.” VIEW DETAILS
Looking to break up the COVID-19 stay-at-home boredom? Try new forms of entertainment!
- HBO: Free Streaming access at HBO! Access over 500 hours of programming for free – HBO has never opened up free access to these programs before! Free access valid through April 30, 2020! VIEW DETAILS
- CBS All Access: CBS All Access has extended its normal 7-day free trial period to 60 days! Use promo codes GIFT and ENJOY at checkout and you get it FREE! VIEW DETAILS
TL;DR: As of March 31, CBS All Access is extending their free trial period from seven days to 60 — just use the codes GIFT and ENJOY at checkout, and it’s yours.
- SiriusXM: Get SiriusXM PREMIUM for FREE now through May 15th! “Working from home. Adapted workout routines. Virtual commutes. Just relaxing. There are channels for everything you’ve got going on right now. From channels curated by and dedicated to your favorite artists to ones inspired by the music you grew up with, plus the newest music releases, live performances, and more. Or, create your very own stations with Personalized Stations Powered by Pandora online and on the app.” This offer is only available on the SiriusXM app. Offer valid through May 15th, 2020. VIEW DETAILS
- SlingTV: “The SLING TV free experience currently includes news from ABC News Live, a 24/7 streaming video news channel for breaking news and live events. In addition, SLING TV offers thousands of movies and shows suitable for kids and families. The SLING TV free experience is available through a simple app download on a Roku, Amazon or Android device, or by visiting sling.com on a Chrome, Safari or Edge browser and following the instructions on the welcome screen.” VIEW DETAILS
For many genealogists under a “shelter in place” order due to COVID-19, having food delivered or available for pick-up is essential.
- CheeseCake Factory: FREE DELIVERY via DoorDash on Orders over $15 PLUS FREE CHEESECAKE! You must use promo code FREESLICE when ordering in order to get your free slice of cheesecake!”Guests who complete a Qualifying Purchase during the Offer Term are eligible for a $0 Delivery on such Qualifying Purchase. A Qualifying Purchase must be made as a single order, in a single transaction for same day delivery. Definitions: “Qualifying Purchase” means a purchase of at least $15 (pretax, excluding all fees, discounts and promotions) from a Participating Restaurant for delivery through DoorDash . “$0 Delivery” means a $0 delivery fee. “Participating Restaurant” means a restaurant in the United States of America, including Puerto Rico, operating under the trade name of The Cheesecake Factory, Social Monk, North Italia or Grand Lux Cafe. “Offer Term” means 8am PDT on March 16, 2020 through and including 11:59pm PDT on March 29, 2020 while supplies last. ” VIEW DETAILS
- Chipotle: FREE DELIVERY at Chipotle on orders of $10 or more! Valid through March 31st. “To celebrate the delicious news, we’re offering FREE Delivery for Chipotle orders of $10 or more. Yup. We said FREE. Here’s how: Step 1: Go to chipotle.com or our Chipotle app on your iOS or Android mobile device. Step 2: Build an order of $10 or more. Step 3: Select delivery and submit your order. Step 4: Sit back and wait for our delivery partner to bring your burrito bliss right to your door. VIEW DETAILS
- Denny’s: FREE DELIVERY plus Take $5 Off Orders Over $20! You must use promo code 5OFF20 at checkout! Valid through April 12, 2020. “While in many states we continue to be open and available to provide a safe experience for each of our guests, if you are unable to join us in our dining rooms, we have also enhanced our focus on pickup and delivery through our Denny’s on Demand platform. As a result, to meet the needs of our guests seeking at-home options in the current uncertain environment, we are now Waiving all Delivery Fees starting today until April 12th.” VIEW DETAILS
- Kentucky Fried Chicken: FREE DELIVERY on Orders Over $12! Right now through April 26th you can get FREE DELIVERY via KFC, Grubhub and Seamless. ” Our Kentucky Fried Chicken Buckets & sides have always been perfect for eating at home, offering Sunday dinner seven days a week. And across the U.S., we’ll be offering free delivery through April 26
via KFC.com. We’re using tamper-evident seals so that your food travels safely, and with Grubhub delivery orders, you can now select the option for contact-free delivery at checkout so you have the safest experience possible.” VIEW DETAILS
- Panera: FREE DELIVERY on Panera orders over $15! ” As more families stay in together in these unprecedented times, Panera wants to help remove the stress around meal times and make it easier to get good, wholesome food on the table. That’s why Panera announced today that it will offer free delivery now through the end of March on orders of $15 or more made via the Panera App or website. Guests can select from a variety of options the whole family will love — and upon checkout, enter the promo code FREEDELIVERY to have delicious, better-for-you food delivered right to your doorstep.” VIEW DETAILS
- UberEats: FREE DELIVERY for Local Independent Restaurants! “We know the success of every restaurant depends on customer demand. That’s why we’re working urgently to drive orders towards independent restaurants on Eats, to help make up for the significant slowdown of in-restaurant dining. As more customers are choosing to stay indoors, we’ve waived the Delivery Fee for the more than 100,000 independent restaurants across US & Canada on Uber Eats. We will also launch daily dedicated, targeted marketing campaigns—both in-app and via email—to promote delivery from local restaurants, especially those that are new to the app.” VIEW DETAILS
Health & Exercise
It isn’t easy to get enough exercise when you’re stuck at home for several weeks! Here are some ways you can stay fit while shut in!
- Peloton: Get a Peloton App Free Trial for 90 days! You may think that Peloton only sells a high-end exercise bike, but the Peloton App has many different exercise classes including yoga, running, and more! “As daily routines continue to change, we want you to have access to our full library of classes from the comfort of home. Take a mix of yoga, meditation, strength, cycling, running and more. We’ll remind you three days before your trial ends so you won’t be accidentally billed, and you can cancel anytime.” VIEW DETAILS
The COVID-19 pandemic means lots of us are at home for several weeks. Time to learn a new skill or update your technology!
- Zencastr: Interested in starting your own genealogy podcast? Zencastr is lifting the limits on its basic “Hobbyist” podcasting plan through July 1st, 2020. This means instead of the 2-guest / 8 hour recording limit, you now have no limit as to guests and recording. Zencastr’s web based software allows you to interview guests remotely, add sounds and post your show all from your computer. VIEW DETAILS
- TripIt: Although you may not be able to travel right now due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you may need to manage your travel cancellations or future bookings. TripIt is makings its Pro version (a $49 value) FREE for six months. Just sign up for TripIt between now and March 31st, and you’ll automatically get access to the advanced features of TripIt (Flight Status: Receive real-time flight alerts, such as delays and gate changes; Alternate Flights: Find additional flight options when you need them; Fare Tracker: Get notified if your airfare drops after you book; and Inner Circle: Keep your family and friends updated on your travel plans). VIEW DETAILS
©2020, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.