Why You Should ALWAYS Have a USB Flash Drive in Your Genealogy Toolbox!
Are you attending the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy in Salt Lake City this week? Or have you made a recent genealogy research trip to the Family History Library or perhaps another record repository? You may notice that genealogists always have at least one USB flash drive ready to download images and other finds.
You might think that with cloud storage and wireless technology these storage devices are outdated and not in use, but that is NOT the case at all. I still have a variety of USB flash drives and I use them all the time as part of my data storage and data backup plan.
Tips on Using a USB Flash Drive for Genealogy Research
Here are my best tips on getting the most out of a USB Flash Drive when using them for genealogy and family history research:
- Faster is NOT Always Better! Yes most of the new USB flash drives use the 3.0 technology ensuring faster uploads and downloads. However, the best deals on these drives can be found with USB 2.0 technology.
- Password Protect your USB flash drive! To protect your data in case your USB flash drive is lost, add a password for access.
- Make sure you place your name and email address (and cell phone number) on a small label on the USB flash drive. This way if you leave it in a computer at a library or repository, you’ll more likely to have it returned to you!
- Add an IF FOUND text file! Another method of ensuring you’ll receive your lost USB flash drive back, is to create a .txt file named _IF_FOUND.txt. In the file enter your contact information.
- Create a Genealogy Research Toolbox on your USB flash drive! Create a list of your most frequently used URLs for research and also store PDF articles and books on your flash drive.
- Add Rescue Tools! You never know when you may need tools such as AVG Rescue Disk, SpyBot or Malwarebytes. Place these tech tools on your USB flash drive.
- Store family history slide shows! Sort of how your crazy uncle always had old vacation slides ready for an after-dinner show . . . you can share your genealogy research with friends and family! Most new Smart TVs have USB ports allowing you to show photos, videos and more!
Save Up to 71% on SanDisk Cruzer USB Flash Drives at Amazon
Right now, you can get an AMAZING deal on USB flash drives at Amazon. The best-selling 32GB SanDisk Cruzer USB 2.0 flash drive, regularly $23.99 is now just $6.99! PLUS you can get FREE SHIPPING as an Amazon Prime Member! This is sold DIRECTLY by Amazon and fulfilled by Amazon – no third party seller!
And you can save on other sizes and configurations of SanDisk Cruzer USB flash drives including 16GB (save 40%, just $5.99), 64GB (save 50%, just $10.99), 128GB (just $17.99) and 256GB (save 53%, just $32.99)!
©2020, copyright Thomas MacEntee. All rights reserved.